Tuesday, November 2, 2010

head full of tricks and treats.

Joseph and I had our first "halloween" together as a married couple. Since this was the first time Joseph and I had ever carved a pumpkin (both of our moms are anti-halloween) it was REALLY interesting! Ha, needless to say we really didn't know what we were doing. I personally don't LOVE halloween and all the ghosts, witches, etc, but I do LOOVEE pumpkins. I thought we could at least make a happy face pumpkin. So we decided to carve an "AU" pumpkin. (War Eagle!)
We got out our utensils,  since we are first-timers it was for us our big chef knives...

Went online and got a good pumpkin example of "AU" and traced our desired shape...

 and got to work... or so we thought.
 Joseph taking the first stab. 
I think I did more damage than good.

I didn't realize there were "pumpkin carving kits", which would have been very beneficial. Either way, we had fun trying to figure it all out with our chef knives, and it actually turned out an UTTER MESS!! Proof:


The funniest thing that came about this, was the next morning I looked out side and the middle of our "A" was on the ground! I laughed so hard. It look absolutely terrible so I went ahead and threw it away. Lesson learned, buy a pumpkin carving kit! 

One GOOD thing that came out of this experience (aside from the quality time we spent together) was delicious pumpkin seeds. As a dietitian in the making, I must warn you: calorically DENSE! Of course, I looked up the nutrition facts on pumpkin seeds.. they are FULL of calories, so don't be fooled. According to the USDA's nutrient database 1 cup of seeds is 675 calories, 35 g protein, 57 g fat, and 15 g carbohydrate. It is a rich source of monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats (AKA: GOOD fats). But still, not worth it. Sorry. Not to me.  Sorry about the downer news, now I give you the recipe. I just couldn't leave that info out!
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Wash and dry seeds on baking sheet over night. (don't use a paper towel! they will stick!)
Sprinkle olive oil over seeds
Shake on- salt, pepper, steak seasoning blend (tex joy in this house), little bit of sugar and cayenne pepper. 
Sprinkle a little worcestershire sauce. Bake on 250 degrees for 1 hour! Enjoy (in moderation)!

No comments:

Post a Comment